Monday, October 8, 2012

First broken bone.

Today Zachary managed to break his humerus while playing today at school. I usually work yard duty at his school on the days Zach is scheduled to go over to his dad's for visitation. He asked me to do it so of course I would do it for him in a heartbeat, but it's also awesome because now I get to see my guy everyday. So today Zach was playing on the play ground with all his little friends. He was standing at the top of the slide about to slide down. I looked away and the next thing I know I see him fall backwards and land on the edge of the slide. I heard him yell "Ow!" but he didn't cry. I walked over to him and asked if he was okay. He didn't answer and didn't move, so I picked him up and walked him over to a bench to sit down. He started crying but assured me he was okay. I was thinking it was more tears from being embarrassed rather than injured. I thought he was acting a bit awkward for taking such a big fall, but he continued to reassure me that he was okay. I  took him to the office and put an ice pack on his shoulder. He sat there for a while and asked me if he can go home. (Zachary always begs me to come home because he doesn't want to go home with his dad. Majority of the times he's in tears asking me) I figured this had something to do with it. While sitting in the office the bell rang and he told me he needs to go to class. I asked him once more if he was okay and he said yes but again asked me if he can come home with me. I told him that I always want Zach to come home and be with his momma, but it's his dad's day so he cannot. With tear filled eyes he said okay and I walked him to class. I told his teacher what happened and she said she'd keep an eye on him. I figured since he continuously assured me that he was okay, I didn't think to take him to the ER.
I received a call a couple hours later saying that he was still crying and complaining about his arm. I drove to school to pick him up before J could get there. I talked to his teacher and she said that for the first time this school year he took a nap. Not just a short 15 minute cat nap, but a good 2 hour nap. She thought it was unusual for him but what she thought what was even more alarming was that he didn't want to go outside and play with his classmates. I agreed this was odd and decided to take Zach to the hospital. I called J and told him what happened and he met me at Kaiser.
We got there at 3:00PM. J met us in urgent care. From the second we arrived and sat in the waiting room, he tried to keep Zach away from me. He grabbed Zach from my lap and put him on his. The entire time he carried Zach around. Not once did he put Zach down. We didn't get into urgent care until 4:30PM. We waited for about 50 more minutes before the doctor came in. She checked out his arm and shoulder and ordered an x-ray. We walked up to x-ray where J still carried Zach and kept him out of my reach. We waited another 30 minutes. After that we were sent back to urgent care and waited another 45 minutes before a doctor came in and asked me when was the last time Zach ate. I knew right then and there something was seriously wrong. He told me that he broke his humerus and that he might need surgery to fix it. When I heard this I felt absolutely horrible. I should have gone with my first instinct cause I felt something was really wrong. Whenever it comes to things for Zach I ALWAYS trust my mother instinct because it is ALWAYS right. I was pretty upset with myself over this.
Not only did I feel horrible about this, but Zach was starving and I could not feed him or give him anything to drink just incase surgery was needed. Poor baby was crying and so upset since he was so hungry. He asked me to come and lay down with him to make him feel better. We laid there for another 30 minutes. Finally the doctor came in and said he didn't need surgery but they will be putting him in a splint. Zach was happy to hear this cause it meant he could eat, I was happy because I was afraid of surgery. Again J kept Zach away from me by carrying him out of the room to the cast room where the splint was put on.
It angers me when J does this crap. Seriously? Are you that much of a control freak that you have to go to such extremes to keep Zach away from his mom? Grow up and grow a pair buddy. Your harming your son more than you know.
I am completely exhausted. We arrived home from DC last night around 10PM, woke up around 6AM for school, and have been up since. Sleep, a comfortable sleep sounds so good right now. I'm glad that my boy is okay. He was so strong during the entire visit. He always amazes me at how totally awesome he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment