Thursday, September 20, 2012

Throwback Thursday

It's #throwbackthursday (hash-tags are fun). I know I've already posted this on my Facebook page, but I wanted to post it on here as well. Zachary loves hearing stories about when I was a baby as well as stories as when he was a baby. So one day we were watching "ALF" on TV (yes, the old, original,  80s/90s show "ALF") and I told Zach that when I was a baby I used to love this show. When I was younger I had an "Alf" stuffed animal and I knew I had a picture of me with him, so I went searching for it to show Zach. While flipping through my baby book, I saw this picture of me and thought, I have a picture like this of Zachary. I never realized how much Zachary and I looked alike when we were babies. When I showed Zach he had the biggest smile on his face. I don't know why he loves baby stories about me or why whenever I tell him baby stories about him he will sit and listen till the end, but he always asks me to tell him stories about him. And I love doing it.

At bedtime, when he's too upset to sleep, I tell him the story of when he was a newborn. Like I said in my "Terrible Tuesday" post, it was very difficult for me to take care of Zachary during the night because I had a c-section. Because he practically woke up every hour I had Zachary sleep on my chest for the first three months of his life. When he slept on my chest I wasn't waking up every hour, but every three to four hours. He got a more restful sleep, and so did I. I don't know why Zach loves hearing this story so much, but it always makes him feel better. We usually have a short little cuddle moment and he comes and lays on my chest as he did when he was a baby It's a bit different now because having a five year old laying down on my chest kind is like having bricks on your chest, but Zach loves it so much I've learned to deal with it.

Bedtimes is one of my favorite moments with Zachary, and not for reasons of having time to myself, but we always have the greatest conversations at night. I always ask him what his favorite part of the day was, and his answers always make me smile. "My favorite part is coming home with my momma", "Playing with bubbles", "Running through the sprinklers", "Washing the car". I know that last one may sound odd, but Zach loves going through the car wash. We usually go through the drive through of
"In & Out" then drive through the car wash. My mom and I are at the point where we wait to wash our cars until Zach comes home. We feel guilty if we do it without him.

But going back to bedtime, I absolutely love it. I cherish every second because before I know it, he will be older and not want a bedtime routine with mom. So there is more than one reason why bedtime is one of my favorite parts of the day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I'm a new follower from MBC and would love a follow back at www.sugarplumsandlollipops.blogspot.com and on Pinterest. I follow all of my Pinterest followers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I can tell you that my kids still like their bedtime routine with mom at 13, 7 and 5 :) But you know how it goes with ADHD and routines. They are so important and comforting. I also blog about my experiences with ADHD at http://actuallynotreally.blogspot.com. Nice to find you on MBC!

    ReplyDelete